- Inconvenience yourself. Engage in regular, low-intensity physical activity, often as part of a daily work routine…. Activity is built into their day. Never deliberately exercise. Similar to “muscle over motor” of MMM.
- ‘Eat until you are 80 percent full.’
- Meat is rare. Beans, whole grains, and garden vegetables are the cornerstones of all the diets. Sardinian shepherds take semolina flatbread into the pastures with them. Nicoyans eat corn tortillas at every meal. And whole grain is part of the Adventist diet. Whole grains deliver fiber, antioxidants, potential anti-cancer agents (insoluble fiber), cholesterol reducers, and clot blockers, plus essential minerals.Beans (legumes) also provide a cornerstone to Blue Zone meals. Diets rich in legumes are associated with fewer heart attacks and less colon cancer. Legumes are a good dietary source of healthy flavonoids and fiber (which can reduce the risk of heart attack) and are also an excellent nonanimal source of protein.
And Blue Zoners like their booze.A glass or two of good red wine per day got the thumbs up from the researchers.
“Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.”
- Downshift: Taking it easy will extend my life
- Belong: In the Blue Zone of Ikaria, there is no word for “privacy.” Now I do enjoy my privacy — but being so supported and loved that you don’t even bother to create a word for being alone is pretty cool too.
- Don’t Zone Alone: Surrounding yourself with others who follow some of the Blue Zone ideas will make living longer easier and more fun.
- Have a Purpose in life.